In small container mix the wine vinegar, olive oil paprika, parsley and thyme, season generously with salt and pepper. Split cleaned chickens open through the back, flatten out and trim birds, cutting out feet and wing tips. Wipe with a damp cloth.
Skewer birds open and brush both sides with part of the seasoning. Sprinkle with fine brown breadcrumbs.
Place the birds, (bone sides down) on grill pan, over charcoal (or bone sides up under grill) and cook for 10 minutes. Then turn them over and continue to cook for 15-20 minutes more, turning the birds occasionally and basting frequently with melted butter. Serve very hot, garnished with watercress, lemon wedges, grilled half tomatoes and pepper rings.
- 2 tender young chickens (2 lb each)
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoon wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 5 tablespoons breadcrumbs, browned in 2 tablespoon butter
- 4 table spoons finely chopped thyme, and parsley
- grilled half tomato
- pepper rings
- spring of watercress and lemon wedges