Classic Chicken with leek
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless chicken breasts or thighs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 8 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 pound chopped leeks
- 1 1/2 cup uncooked rice
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- l/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
1. In large Dutch oven, melt shortening over low heat; add flour and cook, stirring, until brown, about 10 minutes (do not hurry; if flour bums, roux is ruined).
2. Add onions and bell pepper; cook until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
3. Slowly add warm broth; stir until broth reaches a boil.
4. Add tomatoes, leeks, rice, celery, salt, pepper, thyme and bay leaf; bring to a boil.
5. Add chicken; when mixture boils again, reduce heat to low, cover and cook about 20 minutes. 6. Stir and cook, covered, 20 minutes longer