- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups milk or half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Cook asparagus in boiling water in 2-quart saucepan until tender; drain, reserving 112 cup cooking liquid.
2. Place reserved liquid and all but 1/2 cup asparagus in blender or food processor; blend until smooth.
3. In same saucepan, combine cornstarch, salt and pepper; gradually stir in milk until smooth.
4. Add butter; stirring constantly, bring to boil over medium-low heat and boil l minute.
5. Stir in asparagus puree and sherry; blend well, then add reserved 1'2 cup asparagus
6. Cook until heated through, stirring constantly.